Ryde Library has the records for St Anne's Baptisms 1826-1942
Local Studies Librarian
Ryde City Library
Locked Bag 2069
North Ryde 1670
Alphabetical index to names in inscriptions on headstones removed from St Anne's graveyard in 1952 due to road widening.
History of St Annes
The history of Ryde has long been associated with the Church of St Anne. It is the third oldest church in Australia.
The Nave of St Annes was originally a schoolhouse which was built in 1826. In 1838 another schoolhouse was built on the corner of Victoria Rd and Belmore Streets allowing the original building to become St Anne's Church. A Chancel and Bell Tower were added and the building was consecrated by Bishop Barker in 1870.
By the turn of the century a complex of civic building existed on the present Church St block including the Post Office, Court House and Registry Office. Of these only the Court House remains.
The Centenary Memorial Hall built in the 1920s to accommodate the growing number of Sunday School children was demolished in 1999 to make way for the Ryde Anglican Centre.
The book "The Church on the Hill" written by Mavis and J Ernest Benson is available from the Church Office.
Download a more detailed history.
here for the history of the Villers Bretonneux cross.