Connect Bible Study Notes
Term 4 2017
500 years on – Echoes of the Reformation
This year marks 500 years since Martin Luther launched the Protestant reformation with his 95 Theses. This movement shook the world. We take a fresh look at the 5 “pillars” of
reformed doctrine: Scripture alone, Grace alone, Christ alone, Faith alone and Glory to God alone and then three great reformation outcomes that shape our church and our lives: The priesthood of all believers, The freedom of the Christian and Assurance of salvation.
Scripture Alone 2 Timothy 3:10-17 15th October
- Why do you think it is important that the Bible is available in a translation that people can read easily?
- What qualities would you look for in a Bible translation?
- Someone has said “God’s word comes to us in the context of relationships.” Read 2 Timothy 3:10-17 and find evidence that supports this statement.
- How would you describe the relationship between the authority of the Church and denominational leaders and the authority of the Bible?
- What mistake were the religious leaders making in John 5:39-40. In what ways could we make this same mistake today? What is the relationship between Jesus and the Bible?
- How would you make a case for the authority of the Bible in the current same sex marriage debate to a person who does not accept the Bible’s authority?